RME Multiface II
If you've been longing for the ability to do high-quality recording on a laptop or need low latency for software instruments and multiple outputs for surround sound in a desktop or portable rig, the wait is over. RME has taken their highl successful Multiface and made it even better with the RME Multiface II. Talk about an audio interface that does it all!
The RME Multiface offered the best possible performance in terms of low-latency operation and CPU load, thanks to the PCI card solution, which still surpasses "slightly slower" technologies like USB 2.0 or even FireWire. That was reason enough for RME to apply the latest technological developments to the Multiface II, an update of the original Multiface, thus making a proven product even better. First of all, the new RME Multiface II is 100% compatible with the current model's firmware and driver. It offers the same set of features and settings and the same low-latency, zero-CPU-load performance. Some significant changes to the circuitry were made along with the incorparation of several features from RME's award-winning Fireface including: Hi-power headphone output with volume knob and 119 dBA SNR - Analog input stages with improved CMRR, lower THD and increased S/N ratio by almost 10 dB - Analog output stages with significantly lower THD. RME's more effective synchronized internal switching power supply was also added. The reference level (+4dB, -10dB) of the analog inputs and outputs can be changed by two independent switches on the front panel. Like the original RME Multiface, the RME Multiface 2 has to be combined with RME's PCI-card for desktop computers or with RME's CardBus (PCMCIA) card for portable computers, which ensures maximum transfer rates of up to 130 MB/s. The RME Multiface II is compatible with the Windows and MAC platform.
Other improvements of the RME Multiface 2 include the removal of the ADAT Sync interface (D-sub) on the back of the current Multiface (since it is hardly used any more). The added space allows the analog TRS jacks on the Multiface II to be moved further apart, so that eight Neutrik jacks now fit side by side. Additionally, a cable hook used to secure power and audio cables has been added.
Despite the improved quality and increased number of components in the new RME Multiface 2, the price of the Multiface remains unchanged.
RME Multiface II Features:
- 36-channel 24-bit/96kHz HDSP I/O.
- Intelligent clock control according to operational mode and present/desired sample rate.
- Bitclock PLL; the most reliable receiver circuit for ADAT optical signal.
- Input signal monitoring independent from clock mode and sample rate.
- Professional status and level display at lowest CPU load.
- Intelligent Clock Control measures and displays of all incoming and used clocks.
- Change latency on-the-fly under ASIO, without manual reset or re-boot.
- Surveillance and sample accurate synchronization of all channels.
- Comparison and display of all input's clock status.
- TotalMix mixes all inputs and all outputs on all outputs. Several independent submixes possible.
- Automatic monitoring of the input signal with zero latency.
- 8 analog line I/Os with 24 Bit/96kHz conversion.
- 1 ADAT digital I/O.
- 1 SPDIF digital I/O.
- 1 x Word clock I/O.
- MIDI I/O high-speed MIDI.
- Hi-Power headphone output for independent submix.
- Dynamic range analog AD: 115 dBA, DA: 120 dBA.